I know what Linda Vista means. Linda is Spanish for pretty and a vista is an expansive view. A Pretty View makes sense. It certainly is. Not certain what Chula Vista meant, I looked it up on SpanishDict.com.
1. (botany) (El Salvador) (Honduras) (Mexico)
a. rosy periwinkle
Olivia tiene el balcón repleto de macetas con chulas. Olivia's balcony is filled with pots of rosy periwinkles.
2. (vulgar) (male genitalia) (Chile)
A Mateo se le cayó la toalla y se le vio la chula. Mateo dropped his towel and we saw his dick.
1. (madrileña) woman from the back streets of Madrid; (of Madrid) low-class woman; coarse woman
2. (charra) loud wench; flashy female; brassy girl
3. (Latinoamérica) (novia) girlfriend
I don't know who named Chula Vista, but they probably had a sense of humor. From the bordering Otay Mountains overlooking the San Diego Bay toward Juan Cabrillo's view on Point Loma, Mateo must've dropped his towel. I could be wrong. The discoverer could've been a Spanish florist with a back street girl from Madrid. Or maybe Sebastian Vizcaino thought it a beautiful view.